Friday, March 16, 2007

Thursday: Baked Fish with Dates

Yesterday morning I got the bee in my bonnet to prepare a whole fish. While paging through BittmanWorld I came across a North African dish for whole baked fish stuffed with dates. That was clearly what needed to be made.

For the fish I used a Dorade (sea bream, or orata). The preparation was dead simple. The cleaned fish is seasoned and stuffed with chopped dates and butter, then baked on a bed of sliced onions seasoned with white wine, cinnamon, and ginger.



To go with the fish I made a pilaf from Ebly (durum wheat berries), brown mushrooms, onions and garlic. I also did some sauteed zucchini.

What a happy making meal. I'm going to have to do more whole fish. Next time I think I will try either broiling the Dorade (they're small enough) or baking it in salt.

Wine: Mont sur Rolle 2005 "Le Charmeur": a cheap, but not displeasing, Swiss white.

No comments: