Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Monday Chinese

Last night I made Sweet and Sour Pork following the recipe in Land of Plenty. I stuck pretty closely to the recipe aside from using pork shoulder steaks instead of loin (for flavor and because they were on sale).

To accompany the pork, I stir fried some sugar snap peas (mange tout) from the biokiste. I started by sauteeing splinters of smoked bacon and garlic, then added the peas and some rehydrated chinese mushrooms (shitake cut into strips and black ear). When the peas were almost cooked through, I added a splash of dark soy sauce and sesame oil. We ate these drizzled with a bit of chili oil.

Of course we ate both dishes with rice. Both were really good. As promised by the author, the sweet and sour pork has pretty much nothing to do with the grisly (and gristly!) crap I associate with the name.

We also had a green salad.

Wine: Bucaneve 2006 Bianco de Merlot. This white merlot from Tessin wasn't half bad.

No comments: