Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday Asian

My cold is still in effect, so I made something with very strong flavors to break through.

I cooked ground beef and pork with some peanut oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, minced lemon grass, keffir lime leaves, finely chopped Thai chili, minced ginger, and enough water to provide a bit of liquid (no idea how I forgot garlic... I definitely should have added garlic). When this was about done, I added some tamarind paste, the juice from half a lemon (we had no limes), and adjusted the acidity with some sugar. Just before serving I mixed in some more minced ginger.

We ate the meat by wrapping it in lettuce leaves with sticky rice and sriracha. yum!

As a vegetable side I crisped some thinly sliced garlic in peanut oil, then added pieces of broccoli. After a couple of minutes sauteeing, I added a bit of water and some dark soy sauce and then covered it with an undersized lid (to allow evaporation).

Also on the plates were sliced tomato and cucumber strips (cut with the ceramic slicer) that I salted and tossed with rice vinegar.

All of the vegetables except the lemon, tamarind (duh), and garlic were from the biokiste.

The cold is powerful, but I actually did taste something from this.

No comments: