Friday, June 22, 2007

Thursday: Fish and Vegetables

Wednesday night I made a batch of vegetables inspired by the Fennel a la Greque recipe in CPV. I started by simmering a couple of peeled and quartered onions along with a few mashed garlic and a bay leaf cloves in a mixture of flavorful chicken stock and olive oil. When the onions were tender I removed them and added some thin carrots. After removing the carrots I cooked fennel slices and then potato pieces the same way. I poured the remaining stock over the cooked vegetables and let everything sit overnight in the fridge. We ate it as a cold side dish on Thursday and were very pleased.

As a main course I toasted some walnuts in clarified butter, then sauteed pieces of rotbarsch in the walnut-flavored butter. We ate the fish topped with the walnuts, chopped chives, julienned fresh basil, and a drizzle of walnut oil.

I also cooked a halved head of a bitter lettuce that we had as a second vegetable side.

All vegetables were from the biokiste.

Of course we had a green salad too.

No comments: