Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sunday pizza

Tonight was pizza... for the first time in a very long time.

For the crust I used the super-easy wet-dough bread recipe from the Times food section. This worked ok, but I needed to add a bunch of extra flour in order to be able to work with the dough at all.

For the sauce I pureed some good tomato sauce with a crushed garlic clove, a pinch of salt, and some good olive oil.

We made three smallish pizzas:

  1. tomato sauce + fresh mozarella + parmesan
  2. tomato sauce + sliced eggplant + thinly sliced onion + a bit of mozarella + parmesan
  3. pesto (from last summer's basel) + thinly sliced onion + parmesan
Aside from the fact that our oven just doesn't get hot enough to make proper pizza and we don't have a stone to help compensate for that, this turned out very nice. I worked around some of this by using thick baking sheets that I preheated. I assembled the pizzas on parchment and slid them onto the preheated sheets.

We're definitely going to have to do this more often. And maybe find a baking stone so we can do it right. :-)

No comments: