Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Tuesday Fondue

Cheese fondue has been on the todo list for a little bit. Having fondue bourguignonne this weekend in Paris moved the cheese fondue to the head of the list. :-)

I went to a cheese place (the one on Spalenberg downtown) and got a pre-made mixture (gruyere, neunburger vacherin, tete de moin). The woman in the shop suggested 400g for two people, which seemed a bit high, but I didn't remember the quantities from last time, so I went along with her. Of course we did 200g/person last time and that was too much, so I just used 300g of the mixture (the rest will get used... no risk there). The recipe I took from Aus Schweizer Küchen (300g cheese, 150ml white wine, 1 shot kirsch, 1Tbs potato starch). For bread I used a loaf of "St Gallen" brot from Coop.

300g of cheese was, for us at least, the right amount: the fondue itself was very good and we didn't end up feeling completely bloated at the end of the meal.

To test the "standard" approach, we drank peppermint tea with the fondue instead of having wine. This is a good combination.

We also had leftover brussels sprouts and a green salad.

No comments: