Monday, December 10, 2007

Sunday: Risotto and Schnitzel

One of the ways I came up with to use some of the escarole we have from the biokiste was to make risotto with it. That's what I did last night.

I started the risotto by cooking a very fine dice of yellow carrot, onion, garlic, and celery with a good pinch of salt in olive oil until the vegetables softened. Then I added the rice and toasted it, then the chopped escarole. After the escarole shrank some I added a slug of white wine and then started the "add stock, stir, add stock, stir" process using turkey stock that I kept warm on the stove with couple bay leaves and sprigs of thyme swimming around in it. For the last liquid addition I used another slug of white wine. We ate this topped with parmesan and some good olive oil. It was quite nice, though I think I'll enrich the leftovers a bit with butter instead of olive oil -- the slight sweetness of the butter should play well against the bitter of the greens.

We also had schnitzel: pork loin chops pounded out, smeared with mustard and allowed to marinate for an hour, breaded (flour, then egg, then bread crumbs), sauteed in clarified butter, and served with a bit of lemon. Wonderful!

No comments: