Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday: braised chicken and various sundries

This was very much a meal guided by what was in the 'fridge (determined by what was in last week's biokiste).

As a main course I did braised chicken in a leek/radicchio sauce. For this I cooked some sliced leek and diced carrot in olive oil until the leek softened, then added a good quantity of white wine, some radicchio (stemmed and cut into eighths), a bay leaf, a sprig of rosemary, a few sprigs of thyme, a pinch of ground marjoram, and a bit of ground coriander. This I let boil for a few minutes until it reduced by about half, then added chicken leg quarters that I had already browned in olive oil. I nestled the chicken down in the sauce, reduced the heat to low, covered it, and simmered until the chicken was coming off the bone (45-60 minutes).

For the first side I roasted some squash which I mashed with a some salt, a bit of molasses, "raclette spices". The second side was celery root which I cut into cubes and then boiled until tender. The cubes I mashed with butter, white pepper, and salt.

The meal was very a nice combination of colors and flavors.

We also had a big green salad.

No comments: