Friday, December 21, 2007

Thursday night: bread and apple gratin

One of the things I've noticed about Swiss food is the frequent addition of fruit (normally apples or pears) to savory dishes. Combining this with the idea taken from Aus Schweizer Küchen of doing a savory bread pudding to use up old bread and we ended up having a nice gratin made from leftover bread from the fondue, apples, and bacon, topped with the remaining fondue cheese.

I started by cooking some diced bacon with minced onion in a bit of butter. I added a diced apple and a good pinch of marjoram and cooked for another minute or so. In the meantime I beat an egg together with some milk and mixed that into the cubed (2cm cubes) bread. I stirred in the onion-bacon-apple mixture, black pepper, and some chicken stock (bouillon) and folded it all gently together. This got packed into a buttered gratin dish and topped with the grated fondue cheese. I baked the whole thing at 180c for about 30 minutes, until the cheese was bubbly and brown.

Very nice concept, very nice food.

No comments: