Monday, July 02, 2007

Sunday: The Coulis Makes the Meal

I came up with the idea for this on the train back from our hiking trip. My goal was something relatively easy and quick since we were both tired. After planning the meal and thinking the logistics through, I came up with an estimate of 30 minutes to prepare dinner. It actually took 35. Damn! :-)

The meal centered around a simple tomato coulis that I made by pureeing some peeled and seeded tomatoes [biokiste] with a clove of garlic, fresh savory[biokiste], sweet paprika, salt, and good olive oil. I served this at room temperature. It's a very nice sauce.

For the meal's protein component, I gently mixed ground beef with salt and minced onion. I loosely packed this into small patties and then pan fried them. Since we can get good ground beef (Switzerland++), these were very tasty. Next time I'm going to take the "leave it out" principle one step further and skip the onions.

I also boiled some green beans (a flattish variety) from the biokiste and then finished them by sauteeing in olive oil. These also went beautifully with the coulis.

To round out the plate we had some rice (rice/wild rice mix).

Of course we had a green salad on the side.

No comments: