Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday's salads

It was super hot today, so the motivation to cook was pretty low. Luckily we had tons of good bread left over and a bunch of tomatoes from the biokiste. Panzanella was the order of the day.

I used an idea from A Tuscan in the Kitchen that ended up being massively modified based on what we had in the kitchen. No big deal, the ideas on Tuscan in the Kitchen are meant to be modified. :-)

I sliced the bread thick and let it dry out for a while in the sun on our terrace. Then I tossed it with some vegetable boullion, red wine vinegar, and capers. I added chunks of tomatoes, thinly sliced fennel, and thinly sliced red onion, olive oil, and a good grind of pepper. This steeped in the fridge for a couple hours before serving. As a piss-take, I plated this using a ring mold.

I also made a side-salad plate with mozarella, basil, toasted walnuts, toasted almonds, dried dates, and dried apricots. The date + walnut + basil combination is one to remember for the future.

Quite a nice meal this was!

Wine: Mauritson's 2004 Sauvignon blanc.

No comments: