Friday, July 13, 2007

Thursday Pot Pie

There's a recipe for chicken pot pie in FSToS that I've been meaning to make for years. Last night I finally did. Kind of. Given the number of changes I made, I guess I should say that I made a dish inspired by that recipe.

The modifications started when I noticed that veal was on sale at Coop. So it became a veal pot pie instead of chicken. Then there were green beans in the biokiste; since green beans and veal go together so nicely, I had to use them. So green beans instead of peas. I used small onions from the biokiste cut in half instead of pearl onions. I skipped the mushrooms. I skipped the thyme since I used a very aromatic stock (the last of the aspic). I added some white wine. I thickened the sauce a bit with cornstarch.

In the end I combined browned veal cubes, roasted potatoes, onions, garlic, carrot, and green beans in a light sauce, covered it with a piece of blätterteig and then baked it. It was quite good, but could have used a bit more sauce.

We also had a mozzarella, tomato [biokiste], basel salad as well as a green salad.

Wine: Buess 2005 Maispracher: this white wine from the Basel area went well with the food.

No comments: