Monday, May 21, 2007

Camping food

We were camping this weekend so I took the chance to try a couple of different ideas for backpacking food.

Coop sells prepared pasta sauces in small (320g or two big serving) foil bags, I used those as the base for each meal: Friday I mixed the all arrabbiata with some slivered roasted peppers and diced chorizo; we ate it over powdered mashed potatoes. Saturday I used the remaining slivered peppers, some diced smoked sausage, and the bag of sauce bolognese over pasta.

Friday's experiment tasted better, though it would have been better with couscous. Saturday's dish was pretty boring. Neither is really ideal for backpacking since the bags themselves contain a lot of water. It would be cleverer to use a powdered tomato sauce enriched with the peppers and sausages. I'll try that next time.

No comments: