Saturday, May 05, 2007

Friday Dinner: Cod with walnut brown butter

This was inspired by a recipe for pecan butter in The New Making of a Cook. I made a sauce by gently heating some walnuts in butter. When the butter turned brown I poured this off into a bowl and set it aside. For the fish, I cooked a couple of lengfisch fillets (lightly salted for 30 minutes before cooking) in clarified butter over high heat until each side was browned, then tossed the skillet in a 160C oven until the fish was cooked through.

To serve the fish, I gently rewarmed the butter sauce in the microwave, then topped each piece of fish with a few walnuts and spooned over some of the butter. I garnished with a lemon wedge to provide a counter to the richness of the fish+butter.

As sides we had shredded carrot[box] that I cooked with olive oil over medium heat until sweet and tender, diced kohlrabi[box] sauteed in peanut oil, and basmati rice.

This all fit together quite nicely, though Andrea wasn't overly impressed by the kohlrabi.

Wine: Domain Louis Bovard 2002 Villette Fraidieu. This Swiss white was acceptable, but not great.

Random aside: Lengfisch is "Ling" in English. It's a kind of cod. "Lingcod", which we used to see all the time in CA, is NOT a kind of cod; it's a scorpionfish. I love it!

No comments: