Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tuesday Cod and Fennel

We had three smallish fennel bulbs from last week's biokiste, so last night I made cod with fennel following the braised halibut steaks with fennel recipe from FStoS. I know I've made this recipe before, but I strangely can't find it in the blog... odd.

I don't recall ever reading the ingredient list for "Old Bay" crab seasoning, but I'm now pretty sure it contains toasted fennel seeds (or at least fennel seeds). When I pulled the fish out of the oven last night it brought back vivid crab boil memories. mmmm, crab boil.

To go along with the fish I made "Hafer-Quark-Tätschli" using a recipe from the back of the oats package. These are basically savory oat pancakes (containing chives and grated sbrinz). They weren't half bad (though I undercooked the first batch) and used up some quark, which is also nice. Now we only have about 500g left (with 400g more coming today).

We also had sauteed spinach [biokiste], cherry tomato confit, and a green salad.

Very nice food all around.

Wine: P. Lehmann 2005 "Wildcard" unoaked chardonnay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia has an approximation.
"The home cook can prepare a good approximation of Old Bay Seasoning, thus:

"2 Tbsps celery seeds; 2 Tbsps black peppercorns; 10 small bay leaves, 1 tsp. caradamom pods; 1 tsp. mustard seeds; 1 tsp. sweet Hungarian paprika; and 1/2 tsp. ground mace.

"Combine the above ingredients in a spice mill and grind well. Store the mixture in a covered glass jar."

I'm out right now. Otherwise I'd read off the ingredient list.

greg landrum said...

Hmm, right you are... there is no fennel seed in Old Bay:
http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6216

Ingredients
CELERY SALT (SALT, CELERY SEED), SPICES (INCLUDING MUSTARD, RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, BAY [LAUREL] LEAVES, CLOVES, ALLSPICE [PIMENTO], GINGER, MACE, CARDAMOM, CINNAMON), AND PAPRIKA.

At least fennel and celery are in the same family, so I don't need to feel like a complete doofus. :-)

Thanks, by the way, for the pointer. I'm not sure if Old Bay is available here and it is nice to have sometimes.