Monday, May 14, 2007

Oh, Marcella, you've failed me

I made the roasted veal breast recipe from Hazan back in September and was somewhat disappointed by how dry the meat ended up. I thought at the time that this might be due to the fact that the veal I used had been boned. When I made it again last night I used a piece of veal breast that had the bones and it still ended up being somewhat dry. The flavor was once again fine, but the texture of the veal just wasn't as enjoyable as I want. Mabye the veal we get is different from what Marcella expects. ah well... two strikes and this recipe is out.

As a side dish I sauteed some mustard greens [box] with garlic in oil. To play on the sharpness of the greens, I topped them with a bit of whipped quark and some confit'ed cherry tomatoes. That was an unalloyed success.

We also had roasted baby potatoes and a green salad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pan- or oven-roast? If the latter, how hot? sounds like perhaps your oven is too hot?

greg landrum said...

It's a pan roast, and a wet one at that (always a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan).