Friday, April 27, 2007

Energy Bars Take 1

This is my first attempt at concocting a recipe for energy bars that we can take hiking with us.

1 egg, beaten
50g dried dates, chopped in food processor
50g dried apricots, chopped in food processor
25g grated dried coconut
50g slivered almonds
pinch of salt
50g honey
150g of a 1:3 rolled soy:rolled oats mixture
sprinkle of flour

Mix the ingredients up to the honey together well. Stir in the honey. Mix in the soy/oats mixture. Add a sprinkle of flour if it looks like things are too moist.
Transfer to a non-stick baking pan in a layer about 2cm thick and bake at 150C for 25-30 minutes.

The quantity here is the smallest I could make without using a partial egg (too big of a PITA). I'd guess this is enough for the two of us for a two day trip.

Given that I made it up as I went along, I'm surprised this turned out as well as it did. I'm particularly happy that the sweetness is close to right. Things to change for the next attempt:

  1. More dried fruit
  2. Maybe try running the oats and soy through the food processor for a bit first in order to alter the texture.

No comments: