Saturday, April 28, 2007

Energy Bars Take 2

1 egg, beaten
60g dried dates, chopped in food processor
60g dried apricots, chopped in food processor
50g grated dried coconut
50g slivered almonds
100g coarsely chopped walnuts
pinch of salt
120g honey
180g of a 1:3 rolled soy:rolled oats mixture, coarsely chopped in food processor

Same prep instructions as Take 1.

These are texturally much more pleasing -- chopping the soy/oats really makes a different -- but the bars themselves don't hold together as well as I might like. I think this may be because the stuff:egg ratio is too high. I didn't intend to add as much stuff, but I screwed up the honey addition and put in considerably more than I meant to.

Next time:

  1. same amount of the fruit and nuts
  2. less honey
The next attempt will have to wait because the first two batches will now be put to the real test: we're going hiking until Tuesday.

No comments: