Sunday, October 21, 2007

Saturday: Zwiebelkuchen

It's autumn, which means we have to make zwiebelkuchen at least once. Last night we had some friends over for the year's first attempt. We started with a butternut squash soup with a light touch of curry, served with gewurztraminer, and then moved on to the zwiebelkuchen and a nüssli salad, served with a local suser (federweisser) from Domaine Nussbaumer.

For dessert we had quince baked in parchment with a sauce made from reduce honey, apple juice, and vanilla. The quince was served with sour cream. This was another recipe from the current Le Menu, and it was damn fine. I should have served it with creme fraiche instead of sour cream, but I had sour cream for the zwiebelkuchen.

Last night I seemed to be in conflict with the kitchen because I made two sizeable mistakes:

  1. I forgot to add the caraway to the onions. I partially recovered from this by toasting the seeds in a pan and then serving them to sprinkle over the zwiebelkuchen at the table. It wasn't the same though.
  2. I didn't pay close enough attention to the crumble that was supposed to be served with the quince. I assumed that it would be safe to check it 5 minutes before it was supposed to be done. This was not correct, so I ended up pitching the whole burned mess.

No comments: