Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Choucroute

After waiting a couple of weeks, it's finally time for sauerkraut at the Saturday market. And that from the farm we bought it from all the time last year. I guess my face lit up when I saw the tub sitting there, because the woman at the stand moved straight towards it when it was our turn (and Andrea certainly got a good laugh out of it).

There wasn't much doubt but that I'd be making choucroute; the only question was which recipe to use and what meats to include. I ended up going with the recipe from Kamman (the only deviation was to add the rind and boney bits from Saturday's smoked bacon for the first two hours of sauerkraut baking)), and used salted pork belly, smoked pork loin ("Rippli") and small Weisswurst. We ate the finished choucroute with potatoes, grainy mustard, cornichons, and pickled pearl onions.

And it was good... very, very good.

No comments: