Sunday, November 18, 2007

Saturday: Chicken smothered with leeks

For last night's dinner Andrea requested some kind of stew or braise; I did some improvisation and we ended up having chicken smothered with leeks and carrots.

I started by browning some chicken leg quarters well. These were well seasoned and then they went onto a bed of sliced leeks in the Römertopf. I surrounded the chicken with sliced carrots, a few bay leaves, and a couple cloves and then topped the whole thing with more sliced leeks. I poured over a bit of white wine, put the top on, and put the topf in a cold oven, which I set to 180C. I let the whole thing cook for 2-2.5 hours until the chicken was falling off the bone and the leeks were melty. After pulling the chicken out, I stirred a couple spoons of creme fraiche into the liquid in the topf and used that as a sauce.

As sides I made dried green beans with bacon, grain "risotto", and a big green salad.

It was very good food.

No comments: